"It's a Christmas Miracle!"

February 28, 2016


Joyce, Naan, Sister Naua
I went on exchanges with Sister Naua again
 and we did our blitz for relentless week
 in a different area for a couple hours on Friday. (:
[How established is the church there in Aguilar? Is it a branch, ward, stake?
Do they have all the programs we have like: Mutual, Scouts, Relief Society once a month?] The church is fairly established in Aguilar, but it is still a district. They do have mutual and institute, but I don't know about scouts.. I honestly want to say no they don't do scouts, but I'm not 100% sure. 



[How many members attend church?] There are almost enough members to be a ward/stake, but practically all of the members are less active or even inactive. It's quite heartbreaking how many less actives there are here. I'd say there's about 80 people that come on a good day (and that includes the kids). What makes it even worse is the Aguilar chapel is the "stake" center. I don't know what it's like at the other chapels in our district, but I don't imagine it's much better than the stake center chapel..  Lets just say there's a lot of work to do here.. Good thing Sister Cuenca and I like to work hard! ;D 

[What do you carry in your bag?] In my bag I carry my small travel size scriptures, a water bottle, my camera, white handbook, planner, pamphlets, and some other random things like my Lucky Lenny. (; [a small turtle charm. A tradition carried over from her brother's mission] 

Bambam, Fatema, Ryan, the cute Down's Syndrome boy
 no one knows the name of, and Myra Fe. (: 
[I noticed your umbrella.  Is it for shade? How often does it rain when its not the rainy season?] I actually don't usually carry my umbrella. I think I have maybe three times.. Haha. But yes, if I ever do it's for shade. It actually doesn't rain in Pangasinan (the Urdaneta mission). It's sprinkled for a couple minutes a few times, but that's about it. Unless there's a typhoid nearby [I think she means typhoon. haha] then it gets a little rainy and super windy.. But I LOVE IT! You know it's HOT when you're happy there's a typhoid [haha] going on near by. Haha. ;D

Anyway! I'm happy to let you know I have another baptism this Saturday! Ryan is super excited and that makes me extra excited! His wife is already a member, so she was a HUGE help in helping him have the desire to come to church. They have a super cute little boy named Bambam.. Yeah.. Haha! The kids here have the BEST names! ;D Fatema (Ryan's wife) and Ryan are both SUPER excited to go to the temple and be sealed together as a family. I'm just so excited for them. It's such a good feeling being able to teach families about the Plan of Salvation and the opportunity they have to live together as a family for eternity! 
Some new investigators Sister Naua and I found
 for Elder Garate and Elder Blanco during our district's blitz. 

Also.. Last night, as we were all getting ready for bed, I experienced my first power outage here (apparently that happens quite often). I thought I was going to die from heat not being able to use our fans. No joke, I was kneeling in bed dripping sweat. Although I was miserable for a while, it is my testimony that prayer works! I prayed so long and hard that Heavenly Father would help the power turn back on or at least help me cool down. And as I finally settled down to try and sleep, it got a little windy outside. (And we all know how wonderful wind is when we're sweaty.. It's like having our own personal air conditioner. ;D) I was SOOO happy for the smallest amount of wind. AND THEN the power came back on and my fan saved my life and I jumped up and ran around screaming "It's a Christmas miracle" and we all cried from happiness that our fans worked again. Haha. 

Did you know cashews grow on trees? I didn't.. Haha! 
I know that's a silly story.. But! The moral of the story is that God answers our prayers no matter how small or simple our struggles may be. "Ask and ye shall receive." But! It's also important to pray for comfort through our struggles. For example, when I prayed I asked for God to turn the power back on, but I also prayed that if that wasn't His will to at least help me feel comfortable enough to fall asleep. Our prayers may not always be answered in the way we want them to be, but we can ALWAYS receive comfort. We need to align our will with God's. It doesn't happen the other way around. 

Also.. I've reached the point in my mission that I can't speak correct English anymore [typhoid]. This is bad.. Really really bad.. Haha. I can't speak English OR Tagalog! D;

I love you!

** A note from Kelsey's companion, Sister Cuenca**

Good day Mr. and Mrs. Fivas!

That's pretty formal but yeah who could be more awesome than Sister Fivas than her parents! You have a wonderful daughter, she knows exactly why she is out here. I'm gonna take care of her for the last days i have in my mission. Don't worry she is in nice hands. hahah! although she chokes me all the time with her little hands. lol.


have a good day! :)